Skip to main content



 Building Regulations in Worcester






Building Regulations are a legal requirement that apply in England & Wales and are aimed at achieving minimum standards for most aspects of a building's construction, energy efficiency in buildings, the needs of all people, including those with disabilities, in accessing and moving around buildings.

The process of applying for Approval under the Building Regulations is an entirely separate process from Planning Permission. To achieve compliance with Building Regulations, you must submit full and detailed plans of your proposed extension, together with the appropriate application form and fee. Malvern Hills, Wychavon and Worcester have a shared Building Control service - South Worcestershire . EP Architecture South Worcestershire can handle the whole submission and approval process on your behalf.



Do I need to make an application?

In most cases, it will be necessary when extending a building to ensure that everything done complies with the Building Regulations. Unless the planned extension is a porch, conservatory or detached garage built at ground level and has an internal floor area of less than 30m2, it's likely that Building Regulations will apply.


Building Regulations Application

Building control surveyors will examine the plans to guarantee that they comply with the Building Regulations, and will approve the project. Your builders are required to notify the council when building work commences and at various stages throughout the project site inspections will be made to ensure that work, such as laying foundations, damp proofing and installing drains are carried out to standard. A final inspection will be made upon completion of the extension, and a certificate of completion will be issued. This document should be kept with the deeds of your house as it will be required, should you move house in the future.


Further information

Further information about the Building Regulations can be found at the following websites


Building Work, replacement and repairs to your home -  permissions/responsibilities/regulations


Party Wall Act  -  Party wall document


Useful Links


Worcester City Council


  EP Architecture  Worcester  01905 388947